Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sounds of the forest

Since I was small, I was enchanted by nocturnal ectotherms. Cicadas, hylids, geckos-anything that goes chirp in the night. As an adult, I began keeping them in planted terrariums in my room. I am a light sleeper, and nothing is more beautiful to hear than Malayan Leaf Frogs with their metallic honk as you drift to sleep, or the squeaks and chirps of Rhacodactylus geckos courting, while a summer storm is growling in the distance. Summer is my favorite, as this marks the height of when most ectotherms are in full musical bloom.

I may never do field work in an exotic country, but as long as I have my beautiful forest of music, I feel connected to nature. What have you done to stay close to the fields, forests or oceans?

1 comment:

  1. That sounds wonderful :)

    I know a lot of reptile keepers hate them, but I usually like the sound of crickets. We also have a filter in our giant salamander's tank. I love listening to the trickling of water and the chirping of crickets as I drift off to sleep :)

    ReplyDelete